Friday, September 06, 2013

On possessions

I was recently asked what a healthy amount of stuff is okay for a Christian to have. Is it ok for a Christian woman to have things? To decorate her home? 

I answered yes. I was surprised to see the responses that came from the conversation... Many women struggle with the desire to HAVE and with guilt that theyHAVE and WANT to much. 

R, made a great point, that we are to be seen as generous, women of good works. Despite the constant fight to not do good deeds as a way alone to win favor with God, we are instructed as women to constantly do good deeds and good works with our lives for The Lord. I love this. This is supposed to come ABOVE decorating our home. 

I think though that we need to see our homes as a way to pour out, a safe place for others. God has so given me a desire to be hospitable which I believe means that my home needs to feel comfortable and safe, a haven for others. I try to be frugal. Our bed was given to us, and we slept on a mattress on the floor for the first year of marriage. I bought our comforter on sale. I have a sweet pottery barn rug that just gives our living room the "ahh" that it needed, but God blessed us with it for a mere 27$!!!! I think we need to spend wisely in making our home a space of comfort and safety. But it is, I believe written in us women to make it beautiful and full of color and life, and I believe I our homes aren't in order it means there maybe something out of order in other places of our lives. We need to have time to care for and steward the things God has given to us, and if we do not have time for this, or if our homes are taking over our time more than they should perhaps we need to get rid of some things and check our hearts. 

The proverbs 31 women looked well to the way of her household. She made sure her family were clothed well and ate good food. She was wise with her earnings and investments. 

I often look as well to the widow, who any of us could someday be. Paul instructed this woman to be cared for if she had: been hospitable, faithful to her husband, well known for her good deeds like having people into her home and having children and washing the feet of the saints and helping the troubled, devoting herself to "all kinds of good deeds." He instructs younger widows to manage their homes. (1Tim5) 

 I'm not a widow but someday I might be and these are the things that God sees as important as a woman of God. And those of us that have alot... We are asked to not put our hope in that, but to put it in God who RICHLY provides all things for us... To  be generous, rich in good deeds, willing to share... Why? "Lay up treasure for (ourselves) as a firm foundation for the coming age..." (1tim6:17-19) 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good thoughts, these. thanks for this. i'm pondering.